- Buy a microwave splatter cover and actually use it every time you place something in the microwave. Would you rather spend 30 seconds hand washing (or zero-time machine washing) a little cover every so often or at least 3 minutes prying off cheese, tomato sauce, and other gross stuff that's been baked into, or exploded onto, the walls of your microwave?
- Stop wearing your shoes in your apartment and leave dirt (and the city pavement's melange of chemicals and excrement) at the door.
- Keep your cutesy pie collectables in a curio. More things out mean more surfaces to dust. If you display things in a cabinet the items remain dust free and all you have to do is clean the glass occasionally. (Vertical surfaces collect less dust than horizontal surfaces.) You'll also lessen the chances of having to clean up a mess resulting from someone accidentally knocking over a glass or ceramic item.
- Keep your honey, agave, or other syrup jar in a little bowl or on a little plate. This will spare you from having to clean up the sticky mess from various spots on your table, which is way more annoying than cleaning a dish in my opinion.
- Hire me to clean for you!
Olivia Lane is a Blogger, Green Living Educator, and Health Coach trained at The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. She's also author of Baking Soda & Bliss: The Healthy & Happy Guide to Green Cleaning.