- Clean your feet. Seriously. Make sure you dry them well before putting on your Toms too.
- Sprinkle baking soda into your Toms to absorb odors overnight. This might not be ideal for dark colored Toms, as it may make a mess.
- Stuff your Toms with a balled up sheet of newspaper to absorb odor.
- Wipe the inner soles of your Toms with rubbing alcohol on a cloth to kill the funk causing bacteria.
- Stuff your Toms with sachets of either funk cutting dried herbs like eucalyptus or peppermint or antibacterial cedar chips. A wrapped bar of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap is also an option. (I won't tell anyone you put soap in your shoes.)
- Don't wear the same Toms two days in a row. Allow them to air out on the windowsill or porch between wears.
- If you don't mind looking like a tourist, wear clean cotton socks with your Toms. They'll suck up the sweat and funk.
- Bonus tip from reader: Put Zederna cedarwood insoles into your Toms and just wear them. They absorb sweat and cedar naturally protects against foot fungus.
Share this post with your friends! Tweet: 7 #natural ways to keep #TOMSshoes smelling fresh! http://bit.ly/1Phi6Wt #greencleaning via @itsolivialane
Olivia Lane is a Blogger, Green Living Educator, and Health Coach trained at The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. She's also author of Baking Soda & Bliss: The Healthy & Happy Guide to Green Cleaning.