We had a wonderfully satisfying Meatless Monday dinner of vegan lasagna last night. I tried out a new-to-me technique for making a dairy-free ricotta-like filling. Here's the recipe:
- 1 lb soft tofu
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 TBS tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lemon juice of
- some Italian herbs Fresh is flavor magic but we didn't have any on hand so I used dried and it was good.)
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- I blended everything in my Vitamix by gradually going up to 5 and using the tamper. You could make it in a food processor too.
- Another option is to mince the garlic then mix and mash everything together with a fork.
Once you've got ricotta, you're ready to build the lasagna casserole. I love whole wheat pasta, but there are gluten-free options like brown rice flour pasta.
- 28 oz tomato puree or marinara sauce
- 1 box lasagna pasta gluten-free optional
- 1 carrot
- 1 handful mushrooms
- 1 eggplant
- 1 onion
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- vegan ricotta use above recipe
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. (Don't cook, if using no-bake lasagna.)
- Meanwhile, sautee veggies in olive oil.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with tomato puree or marinara sauce. You can pour it straight from the Tetra pack or jar if you're not making your own. My boyfriend prefers to mix it with the veggies (?!), so that's what we did.
- Top with pasta.
- Spread thick layer of vegan ricotta over pasta.
- Top with a little more tomato puree.
- Add a layer of your favorite veggies. Even frozen veggies straight from the bag work well. We used sauteed carrots, mushrooms, eggplant, and onions along with frozen chopped spinach.
- Repeat steps 2-5 until you reach the top of the casserole dish.
- Top with tomato puree, making sure all the pasta is covered.
- Cover with foil or dish lid and bake for 40 minutes. (If you don't cover it, you will get crunchy pasta.)
- Cool for 10 minutes then enjoy!
What are your favorite vegetarian lasagna fillings? I know lots of vegans are avoiding soy these days; if you're one of them, I'd love some recommendations for a nut-based ricotta.
Thanks so much for reading this blog entry! I hope it was helpful. Let's stay connected: Newsletter // Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest // Bloglovin' // YouTube