Some of you may be thinking, "It's July. Whachu talkin' 'bout warm cereal for?" But eating and drinking warm things can actually cool you down.
Try my recipe for amazing amaranth breakfast bliss porridge.
- 1⁄2 cup amaranth cooked
- 2-4 TBS almond milk
- 1 TBS tahini
- 1 tsp honey or agave
- 1⁄2 cup seasonal fresh fruit
- ground ginger to taste
- ground cardamom to taste
- sea salt to taste
- Start with amaranth bestovers*. Heat the cooked amaranth in a small saucepan with a few splashes of almond milk- just enough to make it creamy.
- Slice your favorite seasonal fruit over a bowl of the heated cereal. I've been using nectarines and blueberries. If you don't have fresh fruit, you can heat up frozen fruit along with the amaranth.
- Add extra calcium and yummiest with a drizzle of tahini.
- Add some sweetness to the earthy flavored cereal with some honey (or agave if you're bee-free) and a sprinkle of ground ginger and cardamom.
- I like to add a touch of sea salt to bring everything together.
*Bestovers = Time-saving leftovers. When it comes to grains, I recommend preparing at least 4 servings at once so that you have some ready-to-go throughout the week. You can enjoy grains in different ways- sweet or savory- when you use plain water as the cooking liquid during first preparation.
To make a pot of amaranth: Bring 1 part amaranth and 2.5 parts water to boil. Once it's boiling, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I found amaranth in the bulk section of my local Whole Foods Market. If your grocery store doesn't carry it, you can buy amaranth on Amazon and get free shipping.
Do you eat warm breakfast cereal in the summer? What's your favorite?