|This natural bath product goes from kitchen cabinet to Christmas tree in 10 minutes!|
Buy one crappy tube of exfoliating "sugar scrub" at the drug store and it'll be something like $5. A jar of the real stuff can cost you $15 and up, especially if it's marketed as "natural", even if it's still got unhealthy synthetic fragrances in it.
I was inspired by this recipe for DIY Lavender Vanilla Sugar Scrub at Livin' the Crunchy Life to make a dozen 4oz jars for myself and my co-workers with mostly organic and fair trade ingredients for less than one jar of fancy stuff costs. I quadrupled the recipe for maximum gifting. 10 minutes from start to finish and I had gifts for everyone. Tis the season!
I'm not big on bath products, especially food ones, cuz I don't like taking the extra time to clean up the mess in the shower and oil makes me paranoid about slipping and falling to meet my early demise by DIY. Still, I enjoy using this every so often because it leaves my skin feeling moisturized and nourished right out of the shower.
- 2 to 2.5c fair trade white sugar
- 2 to 2.5c fair trade brown sugar or more white sugar
- 1c your favorite plant-based oil. Olive oil is great if you have friends with nut allergies (and if you're just deciding to whip this up last minute like I did). That's what I used. Coconut oil isn't a good choice this time of year since it's cooling.
- 40 drops (or less) of 1 to 3 kinds of your favorite combo of essential oils. I used lavender and found the molasses in the brown sugar took over the show in a mostly yummy way but there was a little riff between it and the lavender. Maybe next time I'll use something more complimentary like clove or cinnamon essential oils. If you stick with only white sugar it should surely smell more like the essential oils you use.
- 2 to 3 handfuls of lavender flowers. A classy (optional) touch!
- Put a total of 4 cups of the sugars in a big mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- Add a big handful of lavender buds. Maybe sprinkle in a little extra. (You're not drivin'!)
- Add olive oil (and essential oil and vanilla, if using). Stir.
- Is it too oily? Add a little more sugar.
- Put into little 4 oz mason jars.
- Sprinkle tops with a little more lavender buds.
- Done! Give yourself a high five for not eating all that evil sugar.
Do you use sugar scrub? Do you have a favorite brand of scrub or do you make your own?
Thanks so much for reading this blog entry! I hope it was helpful. Wanna keep nerding out about creative green living? Let's stay connected: Newsletter // Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest // Bloglovin' // YouTube
Consider supporting this blog by shopping for essential oils and herbal supplies via my Mountain Rose Herbs Affiliate Link or via my Amazon shop or by buying my green cleaning eBook. Thanks.