|It's 7 degrees and I'm doing random exercise in the street. Just keeping things interesting.|
Still it’s often a struggle to just get up and do it. Time spent exercising is time away from work (time that is super precious especially if you’re self employed), time away from the couch and Downton Abbey, and time away from cuddling with your sweetheart. I get it.
So what’s gonna get you up and moving it for at least 30 minutes a day everyday? Love. I’m not talking about loving long-term benefits like losing weight or increased energy (but yeah, you will get them). I’m talking loving your practice. You’ve gotta love the experience of the exercise practice more than you fear what missing a moment of work will cost you or more than you fear confronting your own inner dramas and feeling alone.
What do you love? What types of movement make your body feel radiant and soul sparkle? Don’t limit yourself to the standard yoga, running, or spin classes if they don’t make you feel great. Try something new. Try something old with a new teacher or at a new studio.
Here are some other physical activities that might be fun. Many of them can be done indoors at home. Also, most of these can be done in 10 minute intervals 3 times a day, so you’ll still get your 30 minutes of motion.
- Walking: Do it in the mall and you can make friends with some cool old ladies!
- Swimming in the ocean
- Hula Hooping
- Weight lifting
- Rowing or kayaking
- Jumping jacks, toe touches, squats and other kid-like gym class activities. I sometimes do these when I’m waiting for my food to heat up or my tea to brew.
- JourneyDance (my favorite)
- Dance party: Rock out to your own playlist in the living room or hit the club!
- Cat Dancer: Seriously. Wave that thing around long enough and you’ll have Michelle Obama’s arms!
- Snow shoeing
- Skating: Ice or roller.
- Jumping rope: Solo, with some kids, or try Punk Rope class.
- Playing tag with your favorite kids or another silly adult
- Frisbee, dog optional
- Laundry, Dusting, Vacuuming, & Mopping: Total body workout. Instant results!
- Gardening and farming
The idea is to just get moving and have fun. Perhaps there are better forms of exercise than many of the ones I listed, but I think the best exercise is the one that you’ll do.
How do you move your body with love? What motivates you- fun, long-term benefits, or both?
Thanks so much for reading this blog entry! I hope it was helpful. Let's stay connected: Newsletter // Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest // Bloglovin' // YouTube
Consider supporting this blog by shopping via my Amazon shop or buying my green cleaning eBook. Thanks.